Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring is so close...

I can feel that spring is right around the corner. The warmer days are outnumbering the colder days. We've set our clocks forward. And I've started to see buds & flower blooms.

Last weekend I picked up Betty from the shop after her tune-up. I couldn't wait for a nice, long ride with her. Luckily my friends had hit me up to do a loop around the Capital Crescent Trail & Rock Creek Park. It was glorious. 30 miles of meandering through beautiful scenery. I couldn't think of a better way to start off a weekend day, even if I had just lost an hour of sleep thanks to DST ;-)

Unfortunately my camera had a little accident on my way to meet my friends. Somehow it came unscrewed from my mount and went flying off my bike while I was on the CCT. I was able to retrieve it, but it took a bit of effort before I could get it in working condition again. Unfortunately, I don't really have any pics from the first part of my ride. I did get a few though:

Betty in Rock Creek Park. That's my Banana Saver on my saddle, btw.

On the Capital Crescent Trail.

Blurry Beach Drive. It's shut down to vehicular traffic on the weekends.

What a gorgeous sunny day.

Can you imagine what this looks like when the trees are in bloom?

If you squint, you can see the blooming daffodils on the hill.

Heading towards the Watergate & the Kennedy Center

 More nature.

Lincoln Memorial

A view from the driver's seat.

Can't wait to do it again.


Yesterday I had a couple of quick errands to run. Which took me near this place:


I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to try a little cupcake experiment of my own! I decided to roll with the Red Velvet cupcakes. It was a really difficult choice, but I wasn't sure which flavor The Boy would prefer, so I decided to play it safe. Everyone loves Red Velvet. They packed them in wax paper & a to-go box:

A cupcake is merely a frosting transportation device. And Betty is a cupcake transportation device.

The box was then taped shut & placed in my front basket for the ride:

Yum Yum.

Some notes: The temperature was in the mid-50's. I had less than half a mile to travel on paved city streets. The box was the only item in the front basket.

When I got home, I resisted the urge to open the box right away. I had some chores to do, and decided to wait until they were done before rewarding myself.

A clean apartment later, and it was time....



And I don't have a photo. Want to know why? Myself and The Boy DEVOURED them before I could remember to get a photo. Whoops.

You will just have to take my word for it that they survived the trip just fine. I think the smooth paved road and the quick travel time with mild temps helped tremendously. The two cupcakes were just enough to sit snugly in their box without sliding around.

And that is the first of my cupcake experiments.











1 comment:

  1. Alright!!! So glad you are on the research team. I may have to do some follow up there myself...

    ReplyDelete