Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Police Unity Tour preparations...

Tomorrow morning I leave for Richmond. I spent most of today making lists & packing everything I think I might need. I know I made a list last year of what I *actually* ended up needing, but I can't find it (of course).

I have not trained nearly enough for this ride. I know this. There's been a variety of excuses: weather (will winter ever go away?!), work obligations, and personal stuff at home. I am hoping that my normal, every day riding will help see me through. Although I haven't been riding long distances, I have been running, and that has helped to keep my fitness up. I do remember last year being easier than I expected. Nothing I can do about it now except to keep on pedaling.

The Boy will drive me to Richmond, and I'm hoping to get there somewhat early so I can settle in and relax. The promotional exam for work is next week, so I'll be doing some studying along with the riding. No tailgating for me this year.

I will not be tracking my ride or even blogging until I get back home. My iphone is growing old & the battery life is terrible. I won't have time to blog from the road like I did last year. I will tweet & perhaps Vine some things along the way.

This year should be interesting because the weather has been all over the place. Last year I was lucky in that it was sunny & warm all 3 days (there was quite a bit of wind the 2nd day, but it was manageable). Looks like we might be facing rain & chilly temps this year. I've brought rain gear (rain jacket & pants), but I'm wondering if I should have bought rain covers for my shoes & helmet.

I keep looking back on last year's blogs from this time, and I am amazed. I was riding so much more (or at least blogging about it). This year has been a disappointment in that department so far. I'm not sure what the problem is. But it is what it is.

This year I will be riding in honor of Det. David Adam White, as well as the other 120 line of duty deaths in 2012. I will also be thinking particularly of my friend Oscar (ruled non-line of duty) and of Ofc. Jennifer Sebena.

I want to thank all of you that have donated to make this ride possible. You were all so very generous, and it never ceases to amaze me. I also want to thank The Daily Rider for hosting another successful Bike Wash Fundraiser, and to the Bike Rack for donating bike fits to riders on the Tour. Also, to my friend Art, who is trusting me with his fancy Van Dessel to ride :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment