After finishing the Police Unity Tour, I knew I couldn't wait to do another big multi-day group ride. Luckily, the Climate Ride for NYC-DC is in the fall this year, instead of in the spring like last year. I really wanted to do the Climate Ride last year, but it was the same time as the Unity Tour. As much as I try, I can't be in two places at once. This year the Climate Ride is in September, so I quickly signed up!
What is the Climate Ride?
The mission of Climate Ride is to inspire and empower citizens to work toward a new energy future. We use sport as a means to change lives and build an effective, citizen-based sustainability movement.
It is also a fundraiser for "sustainability, climate, clean energy & bicycle-related projects and organizations." I will be fundraising on behalf of WABA the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, one of my favorite organizations ever (you're already a member, right?).
I will be riding a bicycle for 5 WHOLE days, from NYC back to DC (Sept. 21st-Sept. 25th). Fun, right? There will also be camping (some of us are a bit more enthusiastic about this than others), guest speakers & other fun stuff on the way. I also get to meet other WABA & Climate Ride supporters.
I need your help though (yes, again. Stop rolling your eyes!). In order to participate, I need to raise a MINIMUM of $2700. That's twice the amount I needed to raise for the Police Unity Tour. It's a little daunting. I have just over 1,000 followers on twitter. Excepting those that are bots, if all of you donated just $25, I would be WELL on my way of raising that money.
Need a little more incentive? Check this out:
If you donate, you'll receive in return:
$10.00: A big thumbs up and/or high five, to be delivered in person.
- $25.00: A thank-you note from me, with a personalized bike-themed haiku (please let me know your address when you donate or shoot me an email!)
$50.00: A water bottle/t-shirt (I'm still pricing these, so it depends) with my photo, giving you a thumbs up!
$100.00: I will buy you a beer or two. Maybe more.
$250.00: I will buy you dinner.
$500.00 A bike ride together to a destination of your choice (within the DC Metro area).
Why should you donate? Well, besides enabling WABA to fund programs and events such as the Women & Bicycles Program, Bike to Work Day, the 50 States Ride, Adult Bicycling Classes, various advocacy, getting bike lanes & other infrastructure installed, etc there's this:
1. You can sleep in late as I pedal my tired butt for hundreds of miles. (doesn't donating money sound even easier now?! You get the credit, while I do the work!)
2. You will transform my bicycle into a money making MACHINE! Something I have yet to accomplish.
3. If you sponsor me, I have no excuse not to complete this ride. Otherwise I will feel like a loser.
4. If you don't sponsor me, I can't do the ride, and I will have to wear a Cone of Shame on my head.
5. You will get updates on my training & real-time updates from the ride itself! Exciting! It will be like the Tour de France, except less exciting and with slightly less doping.
6. WABA is a very important organization for me. I've met many of their staff & their Board, and they are super awesome and dedicated. They do so much with so little. It's amazing.
7. You know how much I love to ride my bike.
8. It makes you feel good to give to a good cause.
9. You are an awesome human being.
10. It's tax deductible!
So, donate now! Click on the link to the right!
I also have a few fundraising events in the works that I will update you with as they get more solidified. In the meantime..
SAVE THE DATE for JULY 14th! Stetson's is helping me to host a Grey Gardens themed costume party that will be a climate ride fundraiser. As soon as we finalize the details, I will post more information up here!
I'm also planning another Bike Wash, so get your bikes nice and dirty!
Also, some photos of various rides, since I know you all love photos!
|I have no idea where this is from. I assume I was riding near the Canal?|
|From the Tour de Fat: I was dressed up as Wonder Woman, but it was 9000 degrees out and my tiara was giving me a headache. Hence my happy face.|
|Side stage at the Tour de Fat|
|Wonder Woman socks (with capes) and my "bike shoes".|
|The Metropolitan Branch Trail.|
|Graffiti along the MBT.|
|a hidden garden along the MBT.|
|I like the MBT because unlike many other trails, it has a very "industrial" vibe to it. Railroad tracks run beside it, and there are many warehouses and old factories.|
|Art along the MBT.|
|Sunset at the 11th St. Bridge overlook.|
|The Big Chair (duh).|
|Street art at Lumen8Anacostia|
|Watching Black Masala play at Lumen8|
|Bike Parking at Lumen8. I was the only one there using at the time.|
|another view from the 11th St. Bridge|
|Super Moon at the Titanic Memorial|
|Police Officers getting trained to patrol on bicycles.|